Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Yard Report

Ash and I have been bouncing back and forth between Portland and Stevenson, some weeks spending almost an equal amount of time in both. I've not been keeping as close an eye on the changes in the flora as I had been, but they have still been different every time I look. Here are things that have been blooming in the yard in the last month or so:



 I was told these red and yellow flowers are called Columbines. They have to be the most uniquely shaped wildflower Ive ever seen.


These purple flowers are EVERYWHERE out here. I think they are a highly invasive weedy vine. The flowers resemble something in the pea family. Luckily the bees and pollinators seem to like them.


There's a whole 'nother world of plant life in Portland, mostly every variety of rose you can imagine. They are in every yard, in every planter bed on the roadside... they grow like weeds out here without much care it would seem. Also see edible plants everywhere.. people love their veggie gardens out here and just the other day walking in a regular suburban neighborhood I passed a bed of artichokes and a bush full of ripe blueberries (they were soo good, I plucked a few to try) right by the sidewalk in front of someones house. You know those grassy easements between the street and sidewalk? Many Portlandians see those as perfect garden plots! Photos to come of the edible gardens of PDX.

No comments:

Post a Comment